A few questions on buying

FIGAROS in the USA FORUMS GENERAL FIGARO CHAT A few questions on buying

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ed
      Participant

Hi Everyone,
      am new here and I see this is a rather small community however, I bet it will grow on the years to come once more people find out about the unique little cars and they are readily available bot in the US and fairly easy to import.

I have a few questions noted below.

1. Has anyone ever purchased from Duncan Imports. They have around 100 Figaros ranging in price from 7K to 40K. Seems like a reputable place to get one and a very interesting story behind the owner and his love for these and other Japanese vehicles.

2. I contacted Figs4U and they offer fully refurbished Figaros in LHD for 28K. Seems like a reasonable price for all that work. My wife might feel more comfortable with a LHD, I am not sure, never driven a RHD – thoughts?

3. I am also interested in getting one from The Figaro Shop, however, if I can get a low mileage car from Duncan that is already in the US, might that be a better choice? Plus I can go look at a very large number of Figs all in one place.

I guess my main question really is, if I plan to spend 25K (or so) might a refurbished LHD be a better option?

Thank You – Ed

Atlantan
      Participant

I bought a Figaro in the fall of 2020 by importing from the UK after asking many of the same questions that you have!

First, the fellow who has all those cars in Virginia is widely considered to be charging tippy-top dollar (also known as too much!) for his cars. I decided not to buy from him, as I think his cars have been sitting in a warehouse for years not being driven.

As for LHD, I bought my car never having driven RHD before and found that the transition, in such a tiny car, is no big deal. I would definitely say that LHD is not worth paying extra for!

I looked at cars from The Figaro Shop, and that again seemed like a pricey option. At any given time, there are at least six Figaros for sale by private owners or other dealers in the UK that are in excellent condition for half of what they charge; some of them are even ‘alumni’ of The Figaro Shop!

Take a look at http://www.carandclassic.co.uk and the classified ads on the Figaro Owners’ Club website to find cars for sale. Many of the dealers are used to exporting, but you might have a trickier time with an individual.

For your research, I would also recommend spending some time on http://www.bringatrailer.com and reading all the comments from previous sales. Many of the commenters are car enthusiasts who are impressively knowledgeable, and you can learn a lot from them.

Ed
        Participant

Thank you for the reply! Very helpful, I will certainly take your advice.

Tony
      Participant

After buying one through FB marketplace, we just bought another through a Japanese auction house. I have been dealing with the auction houses for a long time. This is the one we went through. They are very stringent on their ratings, so if you get a 4 or above, you are going to get a very solid car. I wish we would have bought both through the auction house.

https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-nissan-figaro-for-sale?sort=totalPriceUSD

I have been driving RHD cars for years, never had an issue. My wife loves her RHD GTR, and of course its a manual. Everyone is different, but I would never even consider a LHD conversion.

Ed
        Participant

Hi Tony and thank you for taking the time to reply, your information was helpful for us.

Atlantan
      Participant

Ed,

Did you find a car? We’d love to hear your story!

Ed
        Participant

I did not locate a car yet, I am still do research and looking around. I will get one at some point, I ma just not sure if I want a car that really needs no work and can be enjoyed as-is, or if I want a project car. I do know I will stick with the RHD though.
        Thanks for asking and for your previous post – Ed

fjelonek
      Participant

Hi Ed,

Great to hear you’re interested in a Figaro. I went through The Figaro Shop in UK to make me a bespoke Figaro. Not to sugarcoat it, it was expensive but I got it with the options, features and custom paint I wanted. Yes, and I’m certainly pleased with it. I am not mechanically inclined, so a project car was not an option. I think with these cars in limited supply in US, you get what you pay for. Rust is an issue too. Get the Buyers Guide from the Figaro Club.
      The Figaro Shop was great to work with and still available for parts and followup questions. I wholly recommend them. My only comment I’ve heard about Duncan is that they do not do maintenance on any cars. I’m in Houston, TX

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Ed
        Participant

Thank you for the reply and the pic – beautiful car!! I like the Figaro Shop and I agree with you about getting exactly what you want, and you do get what you pay for if it is from a trusted source like the Fig Shop seems to be.

Enjoy the ride – Ed

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
theme by teslathemes